Wednesday, April 25, 2012

THE END OF DAYS

So since we are so close to the ending of days (aka the last day of class) I thought I would contribute with one final blog summing up everything we have accomplished in this class. Let's start out with the content of the class. Not only is this the first class we (as in Shippensburg) have about the art of graphic novel and video games it is the first successful class about graphic novels and video games. Why was it successful? The first reason is because these mediums are very current with our generation (especially video games). It was really the fist time I was in a room with people who agreed with me that these things are art/literature. The class was organized extremely well and was open to individual research in multiple subjects. I love working as an individual and coming to my own conclusions about things like this. The novels that we had to read were of the highest caliber. I never heard of Blankets before and reading it was just a delight for me. I've heard of Maus, but never really took the time to read it, until now that is. We also got to pick the games we wanted to play, other than WoW but that is amazing in its own right. Overall the class was structured to support individualism and teamwork (group discussions on required reading/the final boss). Secondly is the people. The actual make-up of the class was fantastic also. Without the class I feel as though I would have never met all of these amazing people that I have actually become friends with. Usually I have "class" friends where we talk in class, but outside of it it is like we don't even know each other save for a greeting. In this class I actually can have conversations with people about other things than the class. We kind of hang out too (the library totally counts). I give a good deal of credit to WoW where we were all basically stripped of our identities and sent into this world to interact with one another. That helped me break out of my shell so much. The class helped me branch out and actually talk to (dramatic music) English Majors....So I suppose my question to everyone is what did you think of the class and how has it changed/reinforced your standings on video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment