So I thought I would change it up from the constant talk about WoW, Blizzard, online spaces, etc. And give you my opinion on the game I chose for my indie game: Mass Effect 3. The Mass Effect story follows the exploits of Commander Shepard, the first Human Spectre and savior of the galaxy. In the first installment of Mass Effect Shepard realized an ancient race of non-organic life (The Reapers) is coming to wipe out all life from the galaxy. It is then in the hands of Shepard to stop a Reaper named Sovereign, but that is only the beginning. In Mass Effect 2 Shepard has to stop a race of aliens (known as the Collectors) from snatching Humans. It is later found out that the Collectors are working for the Reapers and constructing a Human Reaper (lamest ending ever btw). So now in Mass Effect 3 the Reapers are coming in full force and it is your job stop them and save the galaxy.....easy.
The main storyline consists of trying to convince the other races (mainly the council races of Turian, Asari, and Salarian) to join your war effort. The actual missions are very well put together and full of action and epic set pieces. Overall the storyline is on point, until the end which is currently being bombarded on the Interwebs (but I won't spoil it for you). The main differences from the first two games come in gameplay. You can finally roll! Thank you!! The cover system is updated and controls much better. The only complaint is that they overload the Action Button (X on ps3, A on Xbox, and Space on PC). For those who haven't played the Action Button is in charge of cover, rolling, running, picking up, hacking, talking, etc. It is way too much. Luckily you kind of get used to it and it no longer becomes a problem after a few hours. Weapon custimization is in the game also, but I could take it or leave it (too call of duty for me).
Next up is the Multiplayer. Yep like all games now it NEEDS a multiplayer (Sarcasim). What we get is a Horde mode that only goes through 11 waves and you level up extremely fast, then before you realize it you are the highest level you could be. I played for about 2 hours and already am level 15 fo 20. BUT EVAN YOU CAN BE OTHER CLASSES!! Oh man I forgot.....it still doesn't matter since it takes no time at all to level. Pretty much what I am trying to say is that the Multiplayer is worthless and feels tacked on. Sure it's fun to fling powers around like a SOB, but it loses its appeal in about an hour. They should have spent more time on the end then the multiplayer.
Another feeling I got was after I completed the game. With the other two installments I was instantly compelled to play another time through. After Mass Effect 3 I did not get that feeling (although I did start a Mass Effect 1 game). The choices were also a little black and white too. There was rarely a third option of dialog just the two (Paragon or Renagade). It was nice, however, to see my choices from the other two games make an impact in 3 though. I feel like I did something in the universe and all in all MASS EFFECT 3 was a satisfying experience that ends the tale of Commander Shepard. It has been a five year journey and I am glad to see it end in such a terrific game.
Ending Song to Mass Effect (personally one of my favorite songs ever)
No comments:
Post a Comment